Friday, September 10, 2010

Family...or in my case, lack there of

I have an eating disorder.  I can admit it and talk a little bit about it... to some people.  Other than my therapist, eight people know the situation... three have known for years.  None of which includes my family other than my husband, who is my rock :)  I come from an extremely unsupportive family who has never approved of anything I've done with my life.  It was hard at first, being 13 and having them just ship me off to a therapist because they didn't want to deal with it.  But as I got older and more time passed, I realized that was the truth: they didn't want to deal with it.  They have never wanted to deal with anything.  When my husband and I got engaged my parents told him, "Thank you for taking her off our hands, she's your problem now."  Talk about love right there.  I've learned that my relationship with my family will probably always be rocky, and that its not completely my fault.  I can't imagine having a daughter going through everything I have/am, hurting this much, and not doing absolutely anything and everything to try and help her any way I could.  They didn't want to help me, and deep down, and I don't think they really cared.  They just wanted someone else to do the job they didn't want to do... or maybe didn't know how to do.  I feel like this situation isn't something you can prepare for... no parent wants to hear their child has an eating disorder.... but don't you try and learn the best way possible to help them??  I'm sure the people in my life now that know weren't prepared for this... but they are all trying to understand and learn for the sake of me and I love them for that.  I need all the support I can get.... even if it isn't from my family.  Just goes to show that friends really are the family we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment